CCW is focused on institutionalizing the regular engagement of and partnerships between our 19 community colleges in the L.A. region and employers from high-growth industry sectors with projected growth of middle skill jobs. It is through these productive partnerships and real-time “feedback loops” that colleges can adaptively attune their programs, courses and curricula to the workforce needs in a way that this truly responsive, demand-driven and future-forward, while also providing students with the very important real-world experiences that come from work-based learning opportunities such as internships.
- 1 – Labor market research and analysis on the supply and demand for talent, to inform college faculty, employers and job-seekers about career paths, changing skills requirements and anticipated job openings.
- 2 – Convening Industry and Education in regional program advisories and industry councils, led by LAEDC, to strengthen relationships and communication between business leaders and college faculty, identify trends in skills and competencies, and build efficient talent development programs.
- 3 – Developing work-based learning opportunities to enable students to explore careers, apply their education and training, understand employer expectations and contextual mixed learning, receive professional mentoring, and on the job experience. (e.g. internship and apprenticeship). This also encourages employers to co-invest in the job and career readiness of students.
- 4 – Company visits and career videos, to show faculty occupations and work sites in-person.
- 5 – CCW Workforce & Education Portal, accessible on this website, which creates a regional infrastructure to efficiently connect students, colleges and employers in real time, to share and activate job leads and work-based learning opportunities on a Salesforce community platform.
CCW is a collaboration between the 19 community colleges in the LA region and the LAEDC, funded through California’s Strong Workforce Program.
Careers in Animation, Automotive, Web Design, EMT, Accounting and more are explored for students in employer-hosted events, presented by CCWRead More
Deans and Faculty get exclusive access to employers to strengthen relationships with business leaders, identify trends in skills and competencies, and build efficient talent development programs.Read More
The new report from CCW identifies accessible career pathways in the rapidly evolving industry sector related to LA County’s massive seaports and airports.Read More
LAist (KPCC) wrote about workers transitioning to well-paying careers, who are utilizing the community college system, and the LAist article referenced helpful reports from this CCW websiteRead More
Faculty attendance is vital to the success of industry-college convenings to update and modernize curricula based on employer feedback, and data shows college participation is strongRead More
Updates on Regional Program Advisories, Industry Council meetings, and dates/times of other CCW events and activity. Don't miss this important information.Read More
News segment highlighted short-term certificates as pathways to modern careers: The CA Cloud program and the partnership between Amazon Web Services and the 19 Community Colleges in the LA region was profiledRead More
CCW has released the new report, Essential Workers in Critical Industries in the Time of COVID-19. Click here to view the report's findings, economist presentation, slides and more.Read More
Talent pipelines and diversity were discussed at the e4 meeting Nov 12th, on the topic of “Cool Jobs in a Hot Industry: Tesla and ZEVs.”Read More
A prime example of a company partnering with community colleges is Takeda, a global biopharmaceutical company, employing about 1,000 people in LA CountyRead More
Bioscience activity in LA County is up; more jobs, investment, new resources to aid collaboration, presenting opportunities for community college partnerships with industryRead More
Success can be measured by course completions, industry certifications by students, total number of colleges offering the program and a number of other measuresRead More
Updates on Regional Program Advisories, Workforce & Education Portal, industry councils, and launch of the bioscience portalRead More
During this pandemic, Angelenos have relied on essential workers. Looking at the data, what are those occupations and are they hiring?Read More
Many residents and businesses are increasing the demand for energy storage, creating middle-skill job openings.Read More
This latest report from CCW provides college faculty and students with actionable information about occupations in the ICT industry in the Los Angeles region.Read More
Future of electric transportation and LA's role was explored May 6th, 2020 at a special Future Forum sponsored by CCWRead More
Report provides analysis of the changing landscape, and offers recommendations to increase the ability of the LA Area community colleges to be highly successfulRead More
April 30th, 2020, from 2:00pm – 2:30pm. Topic: Economic insights on COVID-19 for community colleges in LA County. Requires RSVP. Virtual meeting via ZoomRead More
CCW hosted a Regional Industry Advisory meeting on the future of global trade and logistics talent, in a closed meeting for college faculty on Friday, February 21st, 2020Read More
Video interview describes how the renewable energy industry is affecting the skills that businesses need and the career opportunities for workers in California and Los Angeles Basin, accessible via community collegeRead More
The LA region has demonstrated that fusing labor market research and reliable occupational forecasting with systematic business engagement of college leadership drives more effective career education programs.Read More
LAEDC & Center for Competitive Workforce Forecast over 200,000 Middle-Skill Job Openings in Los Angeles Basin: Labor market reports will guide community college faculty and students in a fast-changing economyRead More
More than 70 percent of graduates have already started their construction careers at LAX or nearby projects. That is the power of industry partnership with our community colleges.Read More
Here's a quick list of college-industry partnerships that are driving curricula and program offerings at the 19 LA Basin Community Colleges. List is being updated as we receive input.Read More
Employers have a chance to develop talent with deans from local community colleges at industry council events hosted by LAEDC. This is part of the value provided by the Center for a Competitive WorkforceRead More
LAEDC has published a playbook for industry-education partnerships, in the form of a Project Update about the work of Center for a Competitive Workforce (CCW). Get the report here.Read More
CCW Meetings & Calendar View Past Events
April 16, 10:00-12:00. Faculty and employers onlyRead More
Partner with CCW to access talent pipelines with community colleges in the region.
- Upskill or retrain your existing employees by connecting with CCW.
- Develop internship and apprenticeship pipelines to access aspiring talent, many of whom will become great employees.
- Engage with college faculty so they can modify their programs and curricula to teach the technology and skills you require in your workplace.
- Use the CCW Portal to find candidates, partnering opportunities with local colleges, and post open positions and work-based learning opportunities.
Faculty and Workforce Dev Pros:
CCW improves the placement of your students and job-seekers into work-based learning and well-paying careers, and CCW helps you adapt programs to the changing needs of employers.
- Learn details of occupations that are in-demand, pay well, and align with your programs, in our reports. Give students and faculty insights on skills that are needed and career prospects.
- Develop relationships with employers at industry council events hosted by LAEDC, to create internship or apprenticeship pipelines and place people into well-paying careers
- Establish faculty externships in various industries to ensure your programs are adapting to future-forward skills and competencies.
- Use the CCW Portal to engage with employers see what work-based learning opportunities are there, and connect your students or job seekers there.
Leaders and Interested Public:
Learn how CCW’s model of industry-education engagement is driving better opportunity for the people in the LA County region, and find ways to engage to assist progress.
- See how the Strong Workforce initiative is delivering improvements in California Community Colleges, via CCW.
- Learn which jobs have great career paths, with strong hiring prospects and career ladders.
- Share our information with others, so we can together create more successful talent development systems in the LA Basin, that sustain families with good jobs, and solve talent gaps employers face.